Universal & Tax Credits

Universal Credit has started to replace 6 existing benefits if you’re out of work or on a low income, with a single monthly payment into your post office, bank or building society account.

Right now, in Enfield, if you already claim a benefit, you’ll continue to do so as normal and you’ll be told when Universal Credit will affect you.

Universal Credit will be gradually rolled out to the rest of the UK and will be completed by 2017.

Any help you get with your rent will be included with your Universal Credit payment and you’ll then pay your landlord yourself.

Universal Credit will eventually replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

If the person you care for is already in debt or has learning difficulties, mental ill health or a substance misuse problem and you manage their money or benefits for them-ask the DWP team for an “alternative payment arrangement”.
This can mean:

  • help with rent can be paid direct to the landlord
  • more frequent payments
  • split payments between partners e.g. if there are domestic violence issues.